Chicago General Contractor Summit Design + Build
Summit recently completed the build-out of a luxury watch boutique and gallery at 11 E. Walton Street for Burdeen’s Jewelry.
CHICAGO – Located within the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in the historic Gold Coast neighborhood, a well-established shopping destination, the concept features three prestige international watch brands each with their own exclusive retail space all under one roof.
A trusted family-jeweler and Chicago go-to for luxury pieces, and as a certified vendor, Burdeen’s Jewelry hosts A. Lange & Söhne, IWC Schaffhausen, and Panerai at the 1,400 square foot boutique. The lone boutiques in the Midwest for each brand carry some of the finest watches from around the world with the brands hailing from Germany, Switzerland, and Italy respectively.
In order to complete construction, Summit had to navigate tight logistical constraints, working adjacent to a luxury hotel in a small space without a loading dock or storage. In just under three months, the team coordinated and oversaw:
- the interior demolition of the existing retail space,
- installation of full MEP systems and an advanced security system,
- modification of the boutique entrances,
- fabrication and installation of custom millwork from three countries,
- installation of a 400 pound chandelier from Switzerland, and
- the setting of a 30,000 pound vault on an elevated slab which required structural work.
D+K Interiors Architects provided architectural services as the local, permitting architect for the project. Interior design of each boutique was handled by the brand’s internal design teams. Burdeen’s officially opened the boutiques on July 5th.