About the job
The Business Development Manager reports to the Vice President of Corporate and will work to improve the organization’s market position and achieve financial growth. This person supports defining long-term organizational strategic goals, builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiates and closes business deals and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions. It is their responsibility to collaborate with the internal operations team, marketing staff, and other managers to increase sales opportunities and thereby maximize revenue for the organization. The Business Development Manager will also help manage existing clients and ensure they stay satisfied and positive.
- Direct sell clients through meetings and prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
- Evaluate existing business practices and working closely with the Summit team to create a solid plan that encompasses short, medium and long-term goals. Recommend new practices and develop new procedures to grow Summit.
- Cold call as appropriate within market or geographic area to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
- Identify and evaluate new markets and partnership opportunities through direct prospecting, networking, attendance and participation with various industry and professional groups and networking associations. Ensure strategic objectives of the market segments are well understood and executed by the pursuit team.
- Identify potential clients/cases and the decision makers within the client organization.
- Research and build relationships with new clients.
- Follow up on project leads/cases identified by other SDB team members.
- Demonstrate and apply complete understanding of SDB (our values, personality, culture), our expertise, our portfolio and our objectives in order to build confidence and generate opportunities from perspective clientele.
- Deliver compelling calls and presentations to introduce SDB’s capabilities and value proposition and build top mind awareness.
- Set up meetings between client decision makers and relevant SDB team members and principals.
- Plan and prepare teams for prospecting and shortlist approaches and pitches.
- Develop, prepare, coordinate and execute presentations and proposals (written proposals, RFP responses and graphic presentations), with relevant staff participation, to existing or new clients.
- Attend trade shows and other associations’ meetings to stay abreast of market conditions, competition, and establish relationships with existing clients and prospects.
- Increase the Summit brand through involvement (leadership roles where appropriate) at industry and trade organizations or other relevant groups.
- Provide ongoing progress updates on business development activities, sponsorship activities and other key indicators to the SDB executive management team.
- Help develop and manage the execution of the sales plan with SDB’s marketing, estimating and senior management teams.
- Track projects, with consistent contact to project team members, from concept through contract award.
- Work with pre-construction staff throughout estimating process to ensure accurate bids and proposals are submitted in a timely manner to all clients.
- Motivates others and provides leadership to accomplish team goals without having direct authority over team members.
- Manages resources within budgetary guidelines and according to company policy
- Positively demonstrates SDB’s mission, vision, value statements, reputation, standards, policies and procedures internally and throughout the marketplace.
- Oversee all aspects of the sales process within the identified market segment(s), including development of opportunity-specific sales strategy, selection of pursuit teams and “quarterbacking” the entire sales process until the final close of the construction project.
- Define, test, refine and implement strategic plans to successfully achieve opportunities within the identified market segment(s). These activities include primary research, industry, market and competitive analysis, and customer needs assessment.
- Provide expertise and direction for the day to day management of bid packages in the pipeline. Provides client specific opportunity assessment, market evaluation, market research, financial evaluation, and other marketing needs required throughout the proposal preparation and delivery process. Incorporates customer needs and input/feedback from both internal and external groups.
- Develop unique ways to develop the Summit brand and achieve new business opportunities.
- Organize events as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Established and actively maintained network in the Chicago AEC and business community
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. Preference given to technical degrees such as architecture, engineering, construction and project management.
- 10-15 years of sales and/or business development experience within the Architecture/ Engineering/Construction and/or Construction Management industry.
- Proven track record with solution selling, long sales cycles and closing opportunities.
- Experience with canvassing, cold calling and networking to meet goals within a territory.
- Experience with attending industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to prepare analytics and reports.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently respond to inquiries from clients, prospects, co-workers and SDB management.
- Ability to effectively present information.
- Ability to solve advanced problems and deal with a variety of options in complex situations. Requires expert level analytical and quantitative skills.
- Technically savvy with solid experience in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word) and Outlook. Past CRM experience preferred.
- Ability to set goals, objectives and meet deadlines.
We offer an excellent compensation package and competitive benefits.
Summit Design + Build is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will be considered.
Summit Design + Build is not accepting unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters at this time.